Safeguarding means protecting people’s health, well being and human rights and enabling them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect. It is fundamental to creating high-quality health and social care.
Safeguarding can also be defined as protecting such groups from physical, emotional/psychological or sexual abuse or neglect and in relation to adults, the additional categories of financial and institutional and discriminatory abuse.
Those most in need of protection are:
- young people
- adults at risk*
* The Care Act 2014 defines an adult at risk as a person aged 18 or over and who:
- Has care and support needs (whether or not the Local Authority is meeting any of those needs)
- Is experiencing or is at risk of abuse or neglect
- As a result of those needs is unable to protect himself / herself against the abuse or neglect or the risk of it.
Kirklees & Calderdale Safeguarding Team
Clare Robinson is the Designated Professional for Safeguarding Adults in Kirklees:
Her role is to provide strategic and professional leadership and make sure the NHS and wider safeguarding partners work effectively together to both prevent and respond to issues of adult abuse and neglect. Clare provides professional advice on safeguarding adult matters and promotes the welfare of adults.
Clare.Robinson@greaterhuddersfieldccg.nhs.uk 07949 899 433
Christina Fairhead is the Designated Nurse for Safeguarding Children in Kirklees:
Christina’s role involves taking a strategic, professional lead on all aspects of the health service contribution to safeguarding children. She provides professional advice on safeguarding children matters and promotes the welfare of children.
Christina.Fairhead@greaterhuddersfieldccg.nhs.uk 07881 956 314
Luke Turnbull is the Designated Professional for Safeguarding Adults in Calderdale:
Luke.Turnbull@greaterhuddersfieldccg.nhs.uk 07775 903 676
Gill Poyser-Young is the Designated Nurse for Safeguarding Children in Calderdale:
Gill.PoyserYoung@greaterhuddersfieldccg.nhs.uk 07904 653 331
Sarah Booth is the Deputy Designated Nurse for Safeguarding Children in Kirklees & Calderdale:
Sarah.Booth@greaterhuddersfieldccg.nhs.uk 07786 312 336
Susan Brook is the Deputy Designated Nurse for Safeguarding Adults in Kirklees & Calderdale:
Susan.Brook@greaterhuddersfieldccg.nhs.uk 07976 673 882
For general safeguarding enquiries please contact:
Louise Moody, Safeguarding Support Officer 01422 307468 Louise.Moody@greaterhuddersfieldccg.nhs.uk
For concerns about a child or young person contact:
Kirklees Children’s Social Care Duty & Advice
- 01484 414960 (This is a 24 hour line for professionals reporting concerns 7 days a week)
- 01484 456848 (This is for members of the public and is open 9am – 5pm Mon to Fri)
- If you have an immediate concern for a child’s safety please call the Police on 999
Alternatively contact the NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000 Monday to Friday 8am – 10pm or 9am – 6pm at the weekends. Or email email@example.com
Childline is a Helpline for children and young people who want to report abuse. For further information please see the Childline website
For concerns about an adult contact:
Kirklees Gateway to Care
- 01484 414933 Opening times Monday to Friday: 8am – 5pm
- After 5pm – If your call is Urgent you can still telephone 01484 414933 as all calls are diverted to our Emergency Duty Team