Local NHS organisations are encouraging people to ‘Think Self Care for Life’ this self-care week by making small changes that can make a big difference to physical and mental wellbeing.
Follow these small steps to a healthier you:
- Get active. Exercise for at least twenty minutes a day, it’s ideal if you can incorporate this into your day. Ditch the car, walk to work, take the stairs or even dance around the kitchen table to your favourite songs!
- Eat well. Swap unhealthy snacks for healthier options such as nuts, seeds and fruit. Ask your pharmacist for advice on managing your weight.
- Make positive changes! Take steps to stop those bad habits that don’t serve you well. This Self Care Week make a plan to stop smoking, reduce alcohol intake or get active! Your pharmacist can help with lifestyle changes such as weight management and stop smoking.
- A good’s night’s sleep is as essential to our health and wellbeing as eating healthily and exercising so, make sure you get the recommended 7-8 hours a night!
- Stop! Busy lives mean we sometimes forget to slow down and stop. Find time in your day to just quieten your mind. Mindfulness or yoga might be helpful.
Dr Steve Ollerton, local GP and Chair of NHS Greater Huddersfield Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) said: ‘’It’s never too early, or too late, to think about protecting your health. Often, one small change will make a big difference to your wellbeing.
“For instance, choosing to become more active will not only improve your physical health, it will also boost your mood, particularly if you choose to exercise outdoors in the fresh air.”
Dr David Kelly, local GP and Chair of NHS North Kirklees CCG adds: “Thinking self-care for life is also about safely managing long term conditions and, understanding how to self-treat common conditions, such as coughs, colds and sore throats. Pharmacists can offer clinical advice and over the counter medicines for a range of minor illnesses as well as lifestyle advice.”
During Self Care Week, and everyday choose Self Care for Life and make self-care your life-long habit.